May is special to the Abraham Medical Cosmetics team for two reasons – for one, we get to celebrate mothers everywhere and the incredible job they do on a daily basis, and on top of that, we also get to celebrate healthy skin. With as much wear and tear that our skin experiences on a daily basis, what better reason to consider spending a little extra time giving it the TLC it deserves than the present? In honor of Skin Cancer Awareness Month, we have hand-selected pampering anti-aging and sun damage-reversing skincare treatments (plus a few other procedures to get you summer-ready) as our specials this month to help keep the skin looking radiant and flawless.
Let’s start with some important facts about skin cancer and the effects of sun damage. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, skin cancer is the most common cause of cancer in the United States and projected to rise to over 144,000 new cases of melanoma (the most aggressive and deadly form of skin cancer) in 2016. With one in five Americans at risk of developing skin cancer in their lifetime, sun safety is as important as ever to help ensure that you reduce your chances of being one of the estimated 8,500 people diagnosed with skin cancer each day. There are several things you can do to reduce your skin cancer risks, but the two most vital pieces of advice we can recommend would be to limit your exposure to the sun (especially during peak sun hours when the UV rays are at their highest, between 10am-4pm) and ALWAYS wear sunscreen with at least SPF 30 for the days you’re outside for extra protection.
While not as dire as the effects skin cancer, UV light also contributes to accelerated aging and sun damage. Collagen needed to keep the skin firm and from sagging start to break down when we’re out in the sun for too long and can directly affect our appearance. Age/brown spots, wrinkles, thinned skin, and uneven skin tone are common signs of sun damage that can make us look older than we really are. This is where nonsurgical and minimally-invasive anti-aging treatments would come in handy. Two treatments that patients experiencing the effects of sun damage often choose are cosmetic injectables and chemical peels:
Cosmetic Injectables (Botox® and Xeomin®)
- FDA approved for patients 18 years and older
- Relaxes the muscles that cause wrinkles on the upper third of the face (around/between the eyes and on the forehead)
- Short treatment times (can be done during your lunch break)
- Little to no required downtime after treatment
- Results typically last four to six months (results vary by patient)
- Safe to repeat treatments in order to maintain longer-lasting results
- Improve overall skin tone and texture
- Topically-applied chemical solution that removes the outermost layer of dead skin cells
- Treat sun damage, acne, fine lines, uneven skin tone, and wrinkles
- Customizable for each patient’s specific skin type
- Little to no downtime required
If you’d like to find out details on our skincare specials, or to schedule an appointment, contact Abraham Medical Cosmetics today. Be sure to connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ for the latest skin care specials and news.